About Me

My photo
I'm a person who has a taste for the best things in life and this is my blog. I travel through the Internet and my blog is about everything and anything that I find on the Internet that I think is cool, amazing, and DIFFERENT. Check out my blog and get inspired ;) Happy reading!

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mac and cheese you say?

For the past week my friends and I have been completing our thesis and it totally got my mind of food. And now that thesis is over, I don't know about you, but comfort food is my plat du jour. Yummy, yummy, yummy! I was thinking of macaroni and cheese. I haven't really tried homemade mac and cheese, only those that come in a box, so I've been scanning the net for a great recipe and found this! (see recipe below)


This version features an abundant crusty topping of buttery fresh breadcrumbs. Then there's the combination of four cheeses to add complexity. Also, sauteed shallots, garlic, and a soupcon of Dijon mustard and smoked sweet paprika provide a distinctive zest. Enjoy!




Ingredients (serves 4)

2 cups coarse crumbs from good quality bread, crusts removed
5 T butter, divided
2 medium shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic finely minced
3 T all-purpose flour
1/8 t smoked sweet paprika
2 t Dijon mustard
1 quart whole milk
½ t freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. elbow macaroni or corkscrew pasta
4 cups cheese, grated, divided (combination of sharp cheddar, gruyere and Colby) Use the grating disk of food processor or large holes of box grater.
½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
(white truffle oil optional)
Directions
1. Lightly sauté the breadcrumbs in 2 T butter and set aside.
2. Sauté shallots and garlic in 3 T butter in a 4-quart saucepan just until translucent. Add flour and stir over medium heat for two minutes. Stir in smoked sweet paprika and mustard.
3. Slowly add and stir in milk. Add pepper.
4 Set aside ½ cup of cheese mixture for topping
5. Cook macaroni 2 minutes fewer than package directions instruct. While macaroni is cooking, add 3 ½ cups of cheese mixture to milk mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly. Set aside ½ cup for topping. Taste for salt. You may not need any as the cheese is salty.
6. Stir well-drained macaroni into cheese mixture and pour into an oven-proof casserole dish. Sprinkle reserved cheese, including Parmigiano-Reggiano, over macaroni and then sprinkle on the breadcrumbs. Bake covered in a 350-degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake for another 10 minutes until there is a light crust on top. Guests can sprinkle a few drops of white truffle oil on top if they like.
And now it's up to my mom to do the rest. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment